How To Choose A Weight Loss Program
Do you want to lose weight or have you been thinking about it? Then you need a weight loss program. But when it comes to weight loss there are lots of different programs to choose from. Magazines, books, the Internet all promise a magic program.
With so many options, how do you know which will work for you? In this article, you will find tips on how to choose the most suitable weight loss program for you.
Involve Your Doctor
You should consult your doctor before you start any weight loss program. This is because your doctor will give information about programs that are not suitable for you based on your medical history. The doctor can inform you on what exercises you can do, what medication you can take, that sort of thing.
You can tell your doctor about your previous attempts at weight loss and what programs interest you. Because he/she is a medical professional he will be able to direct you to other professionals who can help you.
Think About Your Personal Needs
What works for someone else might not work for you, so you need to consider things that are unique to you.like your weight loss goals, your habits, interests stuff like that.
- Your previous diets: What did you try? Did you like them? Did they work? Where you able to stick with them.
- Your Budget: Some programs can be costly, as they may need you to buy certain supplements, foods, visit some clinics. Is your wallet up for it?
- Your preferences: Do you want to do it on your own or do you want to do it with a group. Do you like online programs or do you prefer the personal touch?
- Others: Do you have any medical issues? You need to take that into consideration. Do you have ethical or religious requirements concerning food?
Look for an effective weight loss program
While it’s tempting to choose a program that promises rapid results, you need to be smart and know that rapid may not mean safe. And also, a program that takes it slow and steady is easier to stick to.
If you want to lose weight successfully and in the long run, you need to make permanent modifications to your lifestyle and habits.
When looking for a program you should consider its:
- You Should Like It: When going on a diet you should make sure its contents are appealing to you. This is because if you don’t like the foods in the program then you’ll not be properly motivated to continue with it. This will affect your weight loss results in the long run
- It Should Be Flexible: A flexible program won’t restrict you from certain food groups but will offer you variety from all the major classes of foods, even though some certain food items will be a no-no. A program that is flexible will have foods that can be found in your locality that you find appealing, not rare disgusting herbs. But the program should limit the amount of sugar and alcohol you take because they aren’t good for you even if they contain calories.
- Balanced Diet: Any good weight loss program should have a balanced diet. It should have the right proportion of nutrients to calories. It shouldn’t have large amounts of a certain food group while neglecting the others– that’s not healthy. Also, the diet should contain too many vitamins and supplements.
- Exercise: A good weight loss program should include proper exercises as they help burn calories and is advantageous to your health. We all know that when it comes to weight loss exercise is very important.
Questions You Should Ask When Choosing A Program
Before choosing any weight loss program you need to learn all you can about it. As said earlier what works for you may not work for someone else.
- Risk: Does this program carry any risk. We’re talking about things like health problems here. If it does, is it alright to continue?
- Results: You should ask questions concerning those already following the program like; what amount of weight does the average participant lose. How long does the weight loss last? Does it help with long-term weight loss? How fast is it?
- What to expect: Is the program compatible with your lifestyle? What kind of stuff are you going to be buying? Is it an online or a group program? Will you be shown what you need to change in order to keep losing weight?
- Reliability: Is the program backed by science? If it is a weight loss clinic you are going to, do the doctors and other staff has the right credentials and certification? Do the different staff coordinate with each other.
Warning Signs When Choosing A program
There are some things you need to look out for when choosing a program, these signs indicate that you should stay away.
- Outrageous promises: avoid programs that make promises like Lose 20 kg in one month! Weight loss without going on a diet or doing exercise! Lose weight without a diet change! lose weight in targeted areas! All these promises are lies meant to rope in desperate people.
- Very vague or hidden information
- Pictures that seem too perfect
- Programs that offer no proof
To lose weight in the long term you need lifestyle modifications. What this means is that you have to choose a program that you can stick to for a long time. This is because your results will be hampered if you go on an off your diet or go back to your previous habits.
Diets that don’t satisfy you or that you have problems with can cause you to throw in the towel. Some programs don’t achieve anything because you haven’t made any good changes to your lifestyle. This will lead to only short-term weight loss not, not long term.
At the end of the day, everything falls to you, even with a good weight loss program you still need discipline. All you need for longterm weight loss is a healthy diet with exercise and you are good to go.